Tuesday, 11 October 2016

Game of Thrones Inspired Dragon Eggs.

A very good friend is Fanatical about the TV Series Game of Thrones as am I . She was particularly ooing and ahhing over the dragon eggs in the show, so thought I would make her some of her very own using DecoArt products of course.
Supplies used.
Wooden box to alter.
Styrofoam eggs.
Drawing pins.
300gsm cardstock.
Embossing Folder ( your choice )
Antique bronze latch clasp.
Foam and crushed velvet fabric ( to line inside box )
DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylic paints:-
Carbon Black
Paynes Grey
Prussian Blue Hue
Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide
Quinacrodone Gold
Metallic Silver
Metallic Gold.
For the eggs
Titan Buff
Pyrrole Red
Blue Green Light
Raw Umber.
Burnt Umber
Interference Gold
DecoArt Liquid Glass.
DecoArt Satin Varnish.
I started by Painting the box inside and out with Carbon Black and set aside to dry.
I then embossed some 300gsm cardstock and cut to size to make panels for all four sides of the box.  A piece was also cut for the box lid with a circle cut out in the centre to make space for the Insignia.

I then gave all the embossed panels a coat of metallic silver fluid acrylic and left to dry. Once dry a wash of paynes grey was applied and whilst still wet sprinkled with salt, A technique learnt from Andy Skinner on Hochanda ) some areas heavier than others. Once dry the salt was rubbed off to reveal a cool grungy effect. A wash of Prussian Blue Hue was then applied and left to dry. Once dry a wash of Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide was then applied ( wonderful greenish hues ) and left to dry. Finally a wash of quinacrodone gold was applied to all panels and left to dry. Once dry all panels were edged with Carbon Black Fluid Acrylic and attached to the box with DecoArt Multi Matte Gel Medium.

Now onto the insignia for House Targaryan. A free stencil from the internet was downloaded, resized and cut on my brother Scan N Cut. This was then given a coat of Metallic Gold Fluid acrylic and once dry was attached to the box lid with Gel Medium and given a coat of DecoArt Liquid Glass to seal.

The box was then given two coats of DecoArt Satin Varnish to protect. Once dry the Antique bronze clasp/latch was attached as it looked far nicer than the brass clasp that came with the box.
Now onto the inside of the box. A map of Westeros was printed and attached to the inside lid. Foam was cut to size and covered in Black Crushed Velvet fabric and inserted into the box for the eggs to sit nicely protected.
Onto the Dragon Eggs themselves. These were made following a tutorial I found on You Tube
Once the eggs were completed it was time to give them a coat of paint. One Titan Buff Fluid Acrylic, one Blue Green Light Fluid Acrylic and one Pyrrole Red Fluid Acrylic. Each egg was then dry brushed in areas with Burnt Umber Fluid Acrylic and once dry given a wash of  Raw Umber Fluid Acrylic and finally a coat of interference Gold Fluid Acrylic.


Quite pleased how this turned out and my friend is absolutely ecstatic.
Thanks for taking the time to stop by and read
Hugs Fiona.