Monday, 28 July 2014

Macabre Monday- DEJA-VU DOO

The  theme for this weeks challenge is:
DEJA-VU DOO - reuse a previous image, technique, paper, etc. that you recently used, but in a new way. I decided to alter a picture with embossed cardstock. The new way was to add paint techniques to the embossed cardstock instead of leaving as is.


I started with a fish picture I picked up on sale. Didn't like the fish but loved the raised frame effect. I gave this a base coat of DecoArt  Traditions Acryic paint in black. Once dry I applied DecoArt Media Antiquing crème in Patina and once dry wiped back so it sat nicely in all the nooks and crannies of the frame. This was then given a coat of DecoArt Media Ultra Matte Varnish to seal.

                                                                   Fish Picture before.

I then embossed a piece of 300gsm cardstock which was cut and measured to fit the frame. Ran through my ebosser and then painted with DecoArt Media Acrylics using a technique by Andy Skinner which can be found here:

Whilst the background was drying I altered a wooden skull to be the main focus of the piece. I applied DecoArt Media Cracle paste to the skull and once dry gave a coat of DecoArt Media Antiquing crème in black and wiped back to define all of the lovely cracks. I then sealed with DecoArt Media Ultra Matte varnish. I die-cut an embellishment for the forehead of the skull using a spellbinders die and gave the same treatment as the base of the frame. Attached to the centre of the skull to finish.  Voilla Finished.

                                                               Finished Frame.

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and read.
Hugs Fiona.

Friday, 18 July 2014

Time for a Tipple using New Media Line from DecoArt.

 A quick little project using the new Media Line from DecoArt. I decided to alter a little hip flask using a technique demonstrated by Andy Skinner and can be found here :

A great little technique which is quick and easy to do. After measuring the body of the flask, 300gsm cardstock was embossed using my Ebosser. The technique was then applied. Once all was dry the body of the flask was given a coat of DecoArt Deco-Page and the reverse of the cardstock also to give some tooth and allowed to dry. Once dry another coat of DecoArt Deco-Page was applied to the reverse of the cardstock and attached to the hip flask body. To finish a gear and clock hand was strategically applied and Timepiece charms hung from the neck of the flask. Hey Presto job done.


                                                  HIP FLASK PRIOR TO ALTERING.

                                                       HIP FLASK ANGLED VIEW.

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and read.

Tuesday, 15 July 2014

Macabre Monday- Alien Abduction

                                         For our new challenge, we are going a bit SciFi
Not our usual genre of choice, but after a moment of
brainstorming, we found that we do enjoy a good
space odyssey in the dungeon every once in a while.

Alien Abduction/Invasion 

If silver flying saucers and gray men aren't to your liking,
consider the following films for your inspiration:
Mars Attacks
Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Planet of the Vampires
Strange Invaders
Day of the Triffids
Night of the Creeps
They Live (my personal favorite)
The Thing
The Blob
Invasion of the Body Snatchers

See? Science Fiction can be scary and entertaining!
The theme for the challenge is Alien Abduction and is one of my favourites as I simply love the Alien Franchise Movies. I decided to alter a box to keep my ever growing collection of stencils in. As I love all things DecoArt I decided to use some of their new mixed Media range and I must say I am in love.


First off I gave the box a coat of DecoArt media fluid acrylic in carbon black ( a little goes an awful long way ) Once dry I applied a technique from Andy Skinners online class The Book of Ruination as this closely resembles alien Skin. Whilst waiting for this to dry I cast my Alien pod and Head molds using finecast plaster. The columns and crouching Alien were then cast using techniques learnt in Andy Skinners online class The Outcasts. The box front was then given a wash with DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylic in Phthalo Green Blue. You only need the tiniest amount as the fluid acrylics are so highly pigmented with colour. The box front and side panels were then Stencilled with Andy Skinners Evolution stencil ( the lines were just what I was looking for design wise) using Media Modelling Paste. Once dry the sides were given another coat of the media fluid acrylic in black. After drying the stencil was then placed again and DecoArt Metallic Lustre in Black Shimmer applied.  The Alien Pods and Heads were then painted using DecoArt Media Liquid Glass Mixed with Media Fluid Acrylic to give a glossy coat to the Pods, Heads, columns and crouching Alien ( Slimy Suckers). Once dry DecoArt Metallic lustre in Black Shimmer was applied to all the raised areas.  These were then all attached to the box in a pleasing manner. Finally to finish Decoart Multi surface satin acrylic paint in neon green was added to DecoArt Media Liquid Glass and applied around the base of the pods. Job done. I love how this turned out.

                                                                 BOX FRONT.

                                                           BOX FONT FULL VIEW.

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and read.
Hugs Fiona.