Monday, 1 June 2015

June-Bugs, Gems and GewGaws with HDH.

It's that time again for our monthly Challenge over at Haunted Design House
This months theme is :
"June-bugs, gems and gewgaws" 
 so we'd like you to feature insects/bugs (moths, spiders and creep-crawlies are also ok), OR gems and jewels, OR gewgaws in your creations this month. (A gewgaw is something showy and flamboyant that has little or no intrinsic value but serves a decorative purpose.) And remember to keep it creepy, dark or macabre - we don't want cute and sparkly butterflies here! .
For my contribution I decided to alter a journal more in the way to my liking. I used a whole lotta DecoArt Media products to bring this together. The supplies list is as follows :
DecoArt Media Texture Sand Paste.
DecoArt Media Ultra Matte Varnish.
DecoArt Media Black Gesso.
DecoArt Media Crackle Paint.
DecoArt Media Antiquing Cream in Black.
DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics in :-
Metallic Gold.
Paynes Grey.
Quinacrodone Gold.
Medium Grey Value 3.
Ebony Lamp Black.
Titan Buff.
I started by embossing some 300gsm black cardstock to cover the journal covers attached to the journal and gave front and back covers a coat of DecoArt Media Ultra Matte Varnish to protect. I then mixed media crackle paint with some titan buff media fluid acrylic ( yes these are fully mixable ) to create a nice cream colour and applied to a piece of chipboard which had first  been  given a coat of Media fluid acrylic in black. Whilst this was drying and waiting for those lovely cracks to appear I cast my skull centrepiece. Whilst waiting for my skull  to set I embossed a piece of chipboard and gave it a rust treatment as shown by Andy Skinner HERE.  I die cut and embossed my celtic medallion using a spell binders die. I then attached brass corners to the base chipboard which had now dried and was covered in lovely crackle YUM.  I then gave the skull a coat of DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylic in black. Painted the helmet in Metallic gold and once dry gave a coat of black Antiquing cream which was wiped back when dry to give an aged and tarnished metal effect. The skull was then dry brushed sparingly using the medium grey Value 3 to add some definition to the piece. This was then mounted onto some antique embellishments and a couple of gemstones added. All the layers were then matted and added to the front cover of the journal. Quite pleased how this turned out.


We'd love you to play along with us over at Haunted Design House - you have a whole month and can enter up to three projects. So do come and join myself and the Minions and create something dark and creepy and glorious .
Thanks for taking the time to stop by and read.
Hugs Fiona xx


  1. your piece is fabulous. I love Andy Skinner techniques and your art is a powerful creepy awesome piece.perfection. Thanks for the inspiration.

  2. This is beautiful!! I love the entire piece but the skull is particularly fantastic. Great job.